Infection prevention and control in healthcareLaajuus (3 op)
After completing the course, student is able to
- explain the key-principles and good practice guidelines of infection prevention and control in healthcare settings.
- explain infection prevention and control in different patient group care.
Healthcare associated infections are one of the most frequent adverse events in healthcare and lead to serious threats to patient safety and care efficiency. It is estimated that more than half of the HAIs could be prevented by following the evidence-based HAI prevention and control protocols. On this course, student will learn the key principles of infection prevention and control using interactive and engaging study materials.
The course consists of 12 modules:
- Chain of infections
- Additional precautions for specific transmission routes
- Hand Hygiene
- Clinical Microbiology Laboratory Actions in HCAI
- Use of Personal protective equipment and safe handling of clinical clothing
- Individual assessment of the risk of infection during patient admission and placement/isolation
- Global strategies to respiratory infection prevention and control
- Safe practices in the preparation and administration of intravenous drugs
- Decontamination of clinical devices and equipment
- Proper clinical waste management
- Environmental control and proper decontamination of hospital surfaces
- Two OSVE-simulations, which clarify the infection prevention and control methods in practice
01.08.2023 - 30.06.2024
15.09.2023 - 31.07.2024
- Ulla Korhonen
- Leena Koponen
- Mikko Myllymäki
- Marja Silen-Lipponen
- Avoin_amk_CO (Koko: 800. Avoin AMK: 0.)
Student independently progresses through this online course, adapting to their own personal timetable. The learning process is completely digital, without the need for any in-person instruction.
The course consists of 12 theoretical modules centered around the crucial subject of infection prevention and control in healthcare settings. To successfully complete the course, students must complete all the modules and attain a minimum score of 50% accuracy across all the incorporated quizzes.
Once students have completed all the mandatory quizzes, they are awarded course credits. Teachers assess student course completion four times throughout the academic year (30.11, 29.2, 31.5 & 31.7). The student will be awarded the credits within two weeks from this date. The course is assessed on a pass/fail basis. If you are a Campus Online student, you can find the instructions on how to get your completion transferred to your own study record at Campus Online site.
Toteutuksen valinnaiset suoritustavat
The 3cr course requires the student to study 81 hours.
Harjoittelu- ja työelämäyhteistyö
Oppimateriaali ja suositeltava kirjallisuus
The study materials are on the course Moodle .
The course Moodle: https://moodle.savonia.fi/course/view.php?id=18064
The course enrollment key is: InfectionStop
Studies are free of charge for CampusOnline students.
Course fee for open UAS students is 45 euros. At Savonia's open university of applied sciences, you can pay an annual fee of 350 euros, which covers the tuition fees for the next 12 months at the open university of applied sciences.
Finnish high school or vocational college student can study for free at the open UAS in Savonia.
Graduate of a vocational school or high school in the North Savo region can study at the Savonia Open UAS for free when you start your studies within a year of graduating. The right to study lasts for one year. The offer applies to all who have graduated from vocational schools and high schools in the North Savo region since January 1st, 2023.